[seqfan] Re: Changing References to Links

peter.luschny peter.luschny at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 14 14:44:02 CET 2011

Apropos, what are the reasons to maintain two lists, one
called 'references' and one 'links'?

Almost all scientific papers I know have only one list, the
references, and if the author knows a link, he put this link
next to it.

If this practice would be adopted this would have some
benefits also for the OEIS database:

> If there is a reference, move it to the link section
> and delete the reference.

No more need to move things around -> easier editing.

> (a link) saves time to many of us

Especially when searching a classical sequence the lists of
references and links are quite long now. So time looking
things up could be saved if they were merged.

> linking is better than referencing, no doubt.

Referencing with a link (if it exists) is best, I believe.

> we are living in an Internet age.

Perhaps the differentiation reference/link originated in the
pre-Internet age and is obsolete now?

Peter