[seqfan] Re: Anti-information Was: Breaking news on partition numbers.

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 06:44:06 CET 2011

Joerg makes very good points about "anti-information."

But those are just symptoms of the underlying problem: people fail to
realize that the OEIS already has 99% of the genuinely useful sequences, and
90% of the ones that are at least a little interesting. And so, they don't
search and see what's already there.

And if after looking at what's already there, one is convinced that one's
sequence is still worth sending in, one can easily find much more pertinent
cross-refs than A27, A40, A45 or A79, or as lawyers like to say, "on point."

Failure to double-check calculations is another big problem. If I never
double-checked my math and my logic, I would be the most prolific submitter
of useless duplicates.

Al