[seqfan] Re: Concerning A178668.

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Mon Jan 3 16:04:39 CET 2011

JJ asked:

> I'd like to have advice for situations like this,
where the OEIS is used as a scratchpad for ongoing
investigations (of questionable quality)

Me:
(I will ignore "of questionable quality for now)

I think this is an acceptable use of the OEIS, and something
I have done myself quite often.

One is trying to understand a sequence S. It seems difficult.
So one computes various sequences that are derived from it,
and which look simpler than S. Then it is reasonable to put
a few of them into the OEIS also, in the hope
that one day someone will explain them, or discover them
in a different context.

So my answer is Yes, it is OK to do this.

Neil