[seqfan] Re: Breaking news on partition numbers.

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Tue Jan 25 18:01:51 CET 2011

* Charles Greathouse <charles.greathouse at case.edu> [Jan 25. 2011 10:03]:
> Can you explain why those sequences are interesting?
>
> http://www.polprimos.com/imagenespub/polpa3dt.jpg
> is a fine illustration of A000041, but I don't immediately see the
> value of these sequences.

As far as I can see this is an illustration of the fact that
the partitions of n can be split into
A) partitions of n-1 with the part 1 appended
B) partitions without the part 1

This shows that the numbers of partitions without part 1
are the differences of the numbers of partitions,
a nice "proof without words".

I cannot, however, see how much more can be read from this picture
and certainly not something worth calling "model" of any sort,
though I am happy to be proven wrong here.

Until this happens I'll remain the usual grumpy German,
also known as Sauer Kraut.

cheers,   jj