[seqfan] R: Ombudsman needed for OEIS?

Bruno Berselli berselli.bruno at yahoo.it
Wed Jan 26 17:47:19 CET 2011

Neil ;) I too believe that this is a good idea! The role of the ombudsman that you suggest is surely necessary and important. I personally am quite satisfied with your editors, but I do propose few sequences while I mainly integrate existing ones. However, I must admit that sometimes I have seen contributions submitted by other authors deleted without any objective reason, at least in my humble opinion, and deletions were (and this also is my feeling) conditioned by the personal taste of those who check and approve the contributions. Of course the material sent to Oeis is quantitatively high and certainly it isn’t easy to follow it all properly, therefore I had sometimes the feeling that a certain sequence or relation had been hurriedly 'branded' as contrived, trivial etc.
To me it’s extremely important to bear in mind that Oeis is also an encyclopaedia and it is therefore enriched by information, and I believe that every entry should contain all those available and known.
Your editors are anyhow doing a good job, but I’d like to welcome here the ombudsman!
Ciao,

Bruno