[seqfan] Re: game series

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 17:22:08 CET 2011

http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/~baseball/detail_calc.html

As the end of the season approaches, baseball fans like to engage in
speculation about which teams will advance to the post season and
whether their favorite team is still in contention for a playoff
berth. Newspapers frequently run headlines in their sports sections
declaring that a particular team has been eliminated from contention
or that the first place team has clinched a playoff berth. These
determinations can often be made by looking at the standings and
making a few simple calculations. The RIOT baseball standings can
actually tell you when a team has locked up a playoff spot or fallen
out of contention days before it is reported anywhere else!

The key is taking into account the actual match-ups that remain in the
season and enumerating all possible outcomes. Until the final weeks of
the season, however, the number of possible outcomes can be
astronomically large which makes such an enumeration impractical even
on a very fast computer. By using a powerful and pervasive technique
of industrial engineering, called Network Optimization, it is possible
to accurately perform the necessary calculations without explicitly
enumerating all possibilities. Consequently, it is possible for RIOT
to determine the playoff prospects of a team a few days, or even
weeks, before it is reported by the popular media. The following
example, using National League standings as of 9 am, EST, Sunday
September 8 1996, shows how this works....