[seqfan] Re: number theory question about A000593

Jack Brennen jfb at brennen.net
Sun Jun 19 20:57:08 CEST 2011

Your second paragraph is equivalent to:

   sigma(m) == k*m+1,  k > 1

If k == 2, this is the question of the existence of quasiperfect numbers.
It's been published that no quasiperfect number exists < 10^35.  I've
verified myself that no quasiperfect number exists < 10^80, and I'm
currently working on extending that to 10^120.  Any quasiperfect number
would have to be an odd square, in addition to a bunch of other
restrictions.  Heuristically, there are unlikely to be any such numbers.

I think it's more likely to find solutions with k == 3, but any such
solutions wouldn't be relevant to Peter's question.  Such numbers should
be very scarce, mainly because both m and sigma(m) are likely to have
many divisors, and yet they must be coprime.

    Jack