[seqfan] Re: polygon triangulation

Roland Bacher Roland.Bacher at ujf-grenoble.fr
Tue Mar 8 08:40:10 CET 2011

Denote by A the generating series (with respect to the number of vertices
n) of all such "cutted" polygons which
have a marked boundary edge incident in a triangle. A=t^3+....

Similarly, let B be the series with a marked edge incident in
a quadrilateral: B=t^4+...

The solution is then

t^2+A+B

and A,B are defined recursively by

A=1/t(t^2+B)^2

B=1/t^2(t^2+A+B)^3

In particular, the solution is algebraic (and can be found
using Groebner bases).

Roland Bacher