[seqfan] Re: Multiset defining partitions

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sat Mar 19 04:57:23 CET 2011

I think the only reason one would define a partition as a decreasing
finite sequence of positive integers is that one is not familiar or
comfortable with the concept of a multiset. I prefer to define them as
a finite multiset of positive integers. With that definition, the order
in which they are presented is immaterial; one retains the list in
decreasing order as the standard presentation. (This is a response more
to Peter's home page, cited below, rather than to this email.)

Regarding (1), I don't currently have access to the TAOCP IV fascicles;
is there something there useful in this context?

Regarding (2), I am not uninterested in looking at equivalence classes
of partitions and multisets. My objection is to confounding equivalence
classes of multisets with the multisets themselves.

Regarding (3), there are quite a few arrays that have the form:

#
0,#
0,#,#
0,#,#,#

where the top corner is T(0,0). Generally, these are entered in the
with column 0 omitted. In a few cases, the array with the 0's as shown
is also in the OEIS. For example, for Stirling numbers of the 2nd kind,
the main entry is A008277, with offset 1; there is a secondary entry
A048993 with offset 0. So leaving off n=0 is the correct thing to do
for these cases. However, when generating a list of f(P) for some
function f defined on partitions P, the case n=0 (P empty) should be
included.

-----
I guess I'm really looking for answers to 2 questions:

A) Is there a standard name for the equivalence classes of multisets
that are being incorrectly identified as simply multisets in A176723
and other sequences? If not, is there a good name that can be adopted
for them?

(Note, by the way, that the equivalent concept for sets has a name:
they are called cardinals.)

B) Is there a standard name for the partitions defined in A176723 as
"multiset defining partitions"? If not, is "monotonic partitions" a
good name for them? Or does anyone have another suggestion to make?

Franklin T. Adams-Watters