[seqfan] Re: Underlined sequences.

Marc LeBrun mlb at well.com
Fri May 6 10:06:36 CEST 2011

>="franktaw at netscape.net" <franktaw at netscape.net>
> Maybe we need two sequences, one with the original values ignoring
> underlines, and the other with the +5.

This seems like a good reasonable approach.

n_ --> 9-n might be another option.

If n_ has no relation to n then it's kind of a silly notation and any choice
is equally good.  If there is a relationship but the five "unsigned"
elements are unrelated to eachother then any simple pairing map, such as n+5
mod 10 or 9-n or 2n+underline is equally good.  If there's some reason
behind the ordering of the base alphabet (eg switching 2 and 3 would break
something) then the choice should try to respect that structure.  If 10 is
arbitrary then it would probably be good to also submit the sequences for
some other values of 10.