[seqfan] Re: A book about large numbers

Robert Munafo mrob27 at gmail.com
Mon May 30 03:27:09 CEST 2011

I'd recommend most everything in the bibliography on my Large Numbers page:

  http://www.mrob.com/pub/math/largenum-7.html#biblio

In particular I call attention to "The Book of Numbers" by John H. Conway
and Richard K. Guy (ISBN  0-387-97993-X) because of its great style, a mix
of easy-to-read without sacrificing details. On large numbers, it has a few
pages on -illions in the first chapter, and topical large numbers elsewhere
throughout the book (e.g. Mersenne primes, Graham, Ackermann, Skewes, and
the Knuth and Conway "arrow notations", all of which are listed in the
index) and a good chapter on infinite ordinals and cardinals if you like
them too.

My page (mrob.com/pub/math/largenum.html) covers all of those things too,
but it's not a book or a PDF (-:

- Robert

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 05:17, Matevž Markovič
<matevz.markovic.v at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> For the last 2 years I have been interested into large numbers [...]
> but I never got around to buy myself a book about them. Do you by chance
> know any such book, that would explain notations, like Conway chain
> notation
> and Knuths up arrow notation, ... etc. and the theory behind very large
> numbers & very small numbers? Or a good pdf file, that would include all
> such areas? But I would prefer a book.
>
> --
  Robert Munafo  --  mrob.com
  Follow me at: fb.com/mrob27 - twitter.com/mrob_27 - mrob27.wordpress.com-
youtube.com/user/mrob143 - rilybot.blogspot.com