[seqfan] Re: Primitive pairs of powerful numbers

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sun Nov 13 23:19:00 CET 2011

If we take n to be any powerful number, then for any y, n*y^2 is also
powerful. Now ask when n*y^2 + 1 is a perfect square, say x^2; this
gives us the Pell equation:

x^2 - n*y^2 = 1.

If n is not a perfect square, this will provide infinitely many
solutions. It isn't immediately obvious to me how many of these
solutions will be of the form 4*n*(n+1) for some (other) n in A060355.

Of the 23 numbers in A060355, 18 have n+1 as a square. Only 1 is a
square.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters