[seqfan] Re: Fwd: Your A051217 Nonnegative numbers of the form 6^x-y^2.

Vladimir Shevelev shevelev at bgu.ac.il
Wed Nov 16 23:11:02 CET 2011

I agree with David: the sequence is, of course,  well-defined. But it is clear that without an upper estimate for x it cannot be computable. Since till now such an estimate is unknown, then we should use an empirical conjecture. For example, one can conjecture that, for the n-th term of the sequence, x  not exceeds n. In such case one can  write in the title "a(1)=0; for n>=2, a(n) is the least number >a(n-1) of the form 6^x-y^2 with x<=n  and a(n)=0, if such number does not exist". Then, e.g.,  23  pretending to be a(8)  is verified under condition  6^x-y^2-23=0, x=1,...,8. Now this sequence is  well-defined and well computable. In a comment one can pose a conjecture:" It is a monotone sequence containing all numbers of the form 6^x-y^2".

Regards,
Vladimir