[seqfan] Re: A puzzle from Emissary

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Wed Nov 30 22:37:54 CET 2011

That isn't the way I would generalize it. In general, the iteration
stops when you reach a 1 digit number. Which 1-digit number you reach
depends only on the starting number, not on any intermediate choices.
(In fact, it depends only on n modulo b-1.) So I would ask, for each
base b, how many iterations it takes to reach a 1 digit number starting
with n.

The ones now are numbers

d000...0,

where d is any digit.