[seqfan] Re: Quasilog

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 02:24:24 CEST 2011

I just wanted to make clear that I coined the term "quasilogarithm" to
describe my proposed plotting scale.
I had not checked to see if the term might already be defined. When I
performed a quick Google search on
"quasilogarithm", I found the terms "quasilog", "quasilogarithm", and
"quasilogarithmic" used in several
places, but a quick perusal showed that most of these references were
nontechnical descriptions meaning
"like a logarithm." Therefore, I think we are safe to appropriate the
term and assign it the technical meaning
you give in the wiki page.

The page looks great. Thanks for putting it together. The only criticism
I might make is that I think it should
include an introductory paragraph describing the purpose of the quasilog
function, e.g:

The quasilogarithm (quasilog) function is a plotting scale used by the
OEIS to plot values for sequences with
large ranges. Prior to adoption of the quasilog scale, OEIS graphs
employed variants of the log scale that
plotted negative values above the X-axis.  The quasilog scale is an
approximation to the log scale that plots
moderate to large positive values very close to their log scale
coordinates, while plotting negative values
below the X-axis.