[seqfan] Re: A159580 easy, more

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 00:25:27 CEST 2011

It is already compulsory, and now that we have a larger body of editors, it
is being enforced more thoroughly. Mathematica users are often the worst
offenders, writing things like "Numbers k such that PrimePi[k^2] - " etc.,
though that's not as bad as "See Mathematica program for definition." But
that still means there are a few sequences with problems of this sort, and
as we identify them, we will correct them, as is already happening with
A159580.

Also, I have added the following to the Mathematica style sheet:

It is also worth repeating that the Name field should contain generally
> understood mathematical notation and not Mathematica commands, because not
> everyone knows Mathematica. For example, RealDigits[Sqrt[E]] is not a
> valid name for A019774 <http://oeis.org/A019774>. A more appropriate name
> would be something like "Decimal expansion of the square root of the natural
> log base."

Al

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 5:23 PM, <allouche at math.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Should it not be in general better (or even compulsory!) to write
> explicit definitions or formulas better than (or systematically
> in addition to) programs in whatever language that people
> do not necessarily know and that will certainly be obsolete
> earlier than you think...?
>
> best
> jp
>

> "N. J. A. Sloane" <njas at research.att.com> a écrit :
>

>  Concerning A159577 and the associated sequences A159578 ... A159580 ...:
>>
>> As Sean observed, the terms do not match the definiton.
>> The definition produces A116536, with related sequences A051838 and
>> A196415.
>>
>> But A159577 contains a UBASIC program. Can someone who understands
>> BASIC please read that program and explain what it does?
>>
>> Then we can change the definition of A159577 etc to match
>> the values of the terms.
>>
>> Neil

Alonso del Arte
Author at SmashWords.com<https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/AlonsoDelarte>