[seqfan] Re: A168002 = A079559 ?.

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Oct 4 01:40:51 CEST 2011

I'm certain that they are, although I don't have a complete proof.

The toothpick sequence (and other sequences  like it) exhibits
quasi-periodic behavior, shutting down to the same small increment at
each power of 2. In the case of A15300, the increment is 1 from 2^n-2
to 2^n-1. Generally, each such generation first replicates the history
of the sequence to that point, then repeats it again with a regular
modification. So the pattern in Omar's arrangement of the sequence will
repeat in later generations. Since A079559 has the same pattern, the
sequences are the same.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters