[seqfan] Re: Counting functions for groups

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Fri Oct 14 07:37:54 CEST 2011

This is not a direct response to David's question. One of the things I
try to do when I see a proposed sequence is to try to find simpler
and/or more basic sequences based on the same idea(s).

In this case, combinatorially, a group with distinguished generators is
a different animal from just the group. Do we have a sequence with the
number of groups-with-generators with n elements? How about a table of
the number of groups with n elements and k generators?

In both of these cases, there are actually two sequences: one where the
set of generators is required to be minimal, and one where it is not
(so T(n,n) would be A000001(n)).

I do think all four of the sequences I described here do belong in the
OEIS. I suspect that others here are better placed than I am to compute
them. (I can't readily even compute enough of them to search and see if
they are already present.)

Franklin T. Adams-Watters