[seqfan] Re: twitter-like features on OEIS

Olivier Gerard olivier.gerard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 23:13:10 CEST 2011

Charles,

Like many others I would very much like to have a way to subscribe to
sequence modifications
(by tweets, RSS feeds, daily email, or any other technological variation).
It is a pity we
can do it on the wiki but not on the sequences. We must also be careful not
to overload
the OEIS systems with generation of outgoing contents.

But I think this would be a very bad idea to have a "just modified by many
or trendy sequence" feed.
It could generate many concurrent edits, especially on sequence with already
a large
number of items, links, comments, which are already difficult enough.

I think an encyclopedia is not a place for this kind attention pikes.

But we can certainly think about various ways to browse the OEIS and
discover its depth, picking for instance.

 - random (like the OEIS webcam)
 - random inside a particular thematic or keywords
 - recent nice sequences
 - recent sequence with added b-file
 - refering to an arxiv article less than a month old
 - ...

Anything which can increase the serendipituous qualities of the OEIS
could be beneficial.

Olivier