[seqfan] Re: Most efficient algorithm for selecting divisors of an abundant number?

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Sep 5 05:56:26 CEST 2011

I'm not sure exactly what your criteria are. Do you want a solution
that includes as many divisors as possible? Or one that uses as many of
the initial divisors as possible?

In any case, for 30 your solution is optimal. To get 12 (the amount
skipped) with divisors of 30, 15 is too big. With 10, you have to take
2, as in your example. With neither 15 nor 10, the only solution is 1,
5, 6 (leaving 2, 3, 10, 15), which is clearly inferior by either
criterion.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters