[seqfan] Re: On editors-authors discussions

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Thu Sep 8 22:08:27 CEST 2011

The editors are not there only to help authors. It is also part of the
editors' responsibility to decide whether a sequence belongs in the
OEIS at all. An editor raising this question is just doing his job.

One thing many contributors don't seem to realize is that sequences in
the database will be accessed by people who are not familiar with the
context in which it arose. This means that any interesting aspects of
the sequence need to be identified in the sequence itself. This can be
directly, or by a reference to another sequence, a web page, or a
mathematical or scientific paper.

In other words, when an editor asks "Why is this interesting?", this is
not an invitation to reply via a message, but to add something to the
sequence to answer the question.

On the other hand, I think editors do sometimes fall into the trap of
thinking "I don't understand this, so it's nonsense." Sometimes it is
nonsense, but sometimes it's just poorly written. It is important to
figure out which.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters