[seqfan] Re: about 10000 numbers, a certain document from M.I. Shamos.

Robert Gerbicz robert.gerbicz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 00:32:14 CEST 2011

2011/9/8 Simon Plouffe <simon.plouffe at gmail.com>

>  One word : wOW!,
>
>  now, that's interesting!,
>
>  Neil, would you agree that we should include these
> entries into the OEIS ?

There are some errors in the table, say for the first non-integer entry in
the table on page 26: 1.00000027557319224027 ~ sum(k=1,infinity,1/(10k)!)
which is clearly false. The eighth non-integer entry is also broken on the
same page.

On page 31 the author does not recognize, that 1/480 is a rational number
and has got a period less than 18 (see the Format of Numbers section from
the book).

On page 42 the first line is: .00695.. and you see a quite complicated
arctan formula. But no reference, no other expression or sum or integral
explaining why this is interesting. Without these the value of this real
number is zero.