[seqfan] Re: easy and bref

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Fri Sep 30 19:07:25 CEST 2011

Well, consider A000043: Mersenne primes (p with 2^p-1 prime).

Currently, we don't know any very efficient way of calculating these.
(Better than primality testing for other numbers of the magnitude 2^p,
but still very expensive as a function of p.) However, no one has
proved that there isn't an efficient way to compute these. (The list
might even be finite, in which case there is a very efficient
calculation.)

Franklin T. Adams-Watters