[seqfan] Re: Primes from Indices of Pi and E

Veikko Pohjola veikko at nordem.fi
Tue Apr 24 10:24:14 CEST 2012

Dear Seqfans,

I would like to have the discussion more general about what should not be
included in OEIS. There are, for instance, numerous sequences in OEIS, which
are just instances of a given class of sequence, which can reproduce itself
in infinitely many different ways. The fact that some have been published
cannot mean that any other instance of the class should. How about
sub-sequences, should they be excluded and on what basis?

A couple of examples.

In A052378 the prime quadruples follow the gap pattern [4,2,4], but there
are (obviously infinitely many) other gap patterns which produce all the
sequences, some of which (like those listed as cross references of A078854)
are in OEIS. I cannot see any publication policy to justify why those now in
OEIS are there. The general pattern [a,b,c] is known, however, by which the
class itself is defined and can be exploited to cover all its instances.

The recent A210582 is the numbers whose first digit is the remainder of
their division by the last digit. Should the sub-sequence, where "numbers"
is replaced by "primes" be included. I think it should not.

Best regards,

Veikko