[seqfan] Re: Number of k-divided sequences (corrected)

hv at crypt.org hv at crypt.org
Fri Apr 27 08:27:50 CEST 2012

I wrote:
:Neil Sloane <njasloane at gmail.com> wrote:
::Hugo, Your version is also very interesting.
::And is a lot more pleasing to think about (however, it isn't
::the definition that pops out of Shirshov's theorem).
::
::So it would be interesting if you produced analogs of
::the sequences listed in A210109 that were based on your notion.
::
::Also, if you have programs for your version, I would
::very much like to see them. This investigation is connected
::to a problem that my colleague David Applegate and I
::have been working on.
:
:Please see <https://github.com/hvds/seq/tree/master/k-steppable>
:for a repository with perl and C code to evaluate these sequences.
:
:Results for 2 <= b <= 4; 2 <= k <= 5; k <= n <= 16, b^n < 2^32
:are recorded in the 'results' file there, but I'm not sure what sequences
:I can most usefully export from that.
:
:Sadly, looking through those links I see my documentation is not up
:to scratch; I'll try to improve that over the next day or two. The
:code is however relatively simple, and the commits advancing from
:simplistic to minor optimization should help to clarify.

I should have mentioned: I improved the documentation shortly after
sending the original message.

Neil, if it would be helpful to extend the code in a particular
direction to help with the problem you are working on with David
Applegate, let me know.

Hugo