[seqfan] Re: generating-function-ology

Andrew N W Hone A.N.W.Hone at kent.ac.uk
Mon Aug 13 07:34:29 CEST 2012

This is not the answer to the question that was asked.

What is being asked for is the generating function for the sequence of reciprocals of the terms in a sequence,
in terms of the generating function for the original sequence.

This is completely different from the reciprocal of the generating function.

To see this, consider Fibonacci again.

The sequence of reciprocals must leave out F_0 = 0, so we start from index 1:

1,1,1/2, 1/3, 1/5, 1/8, ...

I do not know a simple formula for the generating function A(x) = x+x^2 +1/2 x^3+...
of this sequence of rational numbers.

However, it cannot be a rational function, since the explicit formula for the Fibonacci numbers has the form

F_n = (u^n -v^n)(u-v)

where u is the golden mean and v=-1/u, and the reciprocals are

1/F_n = (u-v) / (u^n - v^n)

which do not satisfy any linear recurrence relation.

All the best
Andy