[seqfan] Re: Submitting a sequence with a similar sequence already in the OEIS

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 22:54:24 CET 2012

Someone who reads Flory's paper might search for 0.8646647... while someone
researching the powers of e might search for 0.1353352832... but not think
about 1 – e^(–2). In this particular case, I think Flory's paper is
motivation enough. Recently I sent in cos log 2 pretty much just because it
was in Nahin's book; when you then found that excellent Volz & Nguyen paper
there was no doubt in my mind it was worth adding to the OEIS.

If on the other hand I was just thinking of random unit interval constants
to subtract from 1 or random logarithms to compute the cosine of, I would
probably just write it down in my notebook but not send it in.

Al

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Neil Sloane <njasloane at gmail.com> wrote:

> Certainly submit it!
> Neil
>
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Charles Greathouse <
> charles.greathouse at case.edu> wrote:
>
> > There was discussion a few days ago about whether to add a sequence
> > which was the transformation a(n) ->a(n)^2 + a(n) of an existing
> > sequence. Along those lines, I had started a sequence A219863 which is
> > a constant equal to 1 - A092553, and I was looking for advice on
> > whether I should submit it or scrap it.
> >
> > There's lovely information available on the constant, and as a bonus
> > it first appeared in a chemistry journal (by the eminent Dr. Paul
> > Florey) rather than the more usual math or comp. sci. But of course
> > once I noticed A092553 I added the information there as well, so in
> > any case it does appear in some form in the OEIS.
> >
> > Any thoughts or suggestions in this case?
> >
> > Charles Greathouse
> > Analyst/Programmer
> > Case Western Reserve University

> Dear Friends, I have now retired from AT&T. New coordinates:
>
> Neil J. A. Sloane, President, OEIS Foundation
> 11 South Adelaide Avenue, Highland Park, NJ 08904, USA
> Email: njasloane at gmail.com

Alonso del Arte
Author at SmashWords.com<https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/AlonsoDelarte>
Musician at ReverbNation.com <http://www.reverbnation.com/alonsodelarte>