[seqfan] Re: "Simple" rings

W. Edwin Clark wclark at mail.usf.edu
Fri Dec 28 22:53:02 CET 2012

I'm not sure there is a name for (associative) rings that are not direct
sums of other rings. Certainly they
are not called simple rings.( Simple rings are rings with no non-trivial
ideals and in the
case of finite rings are just matrix rings over finite fields.)  In the case
of associative rings such rings would be of prime power order since a
finite ring is
the product of it's p-subrings R_p where R_p is the set of elements of ring
R whose
additive order is a power of p.  But clearly some rings of prime power
order (p-rings) are
direct sums of other p-rings.

So perhaps you could do with a list of p-rings.

Some possibly  useful webpages:

http://home.wlu.edu/~dresdeng/smallrings/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_ring

There is also the book *Finite Rings with Identity* (1974)  by Bernard A.
McDonald

--Edwin