[seqfan] Re: A123712 and A178212

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Thu Feb 9 15:11:37 CET 2012

I have real interest in the underlying general question: what does a
given sequence *mean*?  Or, more specific to your problem: how do we
understand a given sequence, when its definition requires a long chase
through other sequences?

At one point I made a program to list sequences which were defined in
terms of sequences which were defined in terms of other sequences.
But the list was too long to look through... a real pity.

In this specific case I've added a program to the sequence so it can
be analyzed at least somewhat more easily.  But that raises as many
questions as it answers.  Why do we care about the number of nonzero
entries on a given row?  What is the significance of the constant 16?

If the two sequences are distinct perhaps the easiest solution is to
find a term where they differ.

Charles Greathouse
Analyst/Programmer
Case Western Reserve University