[seqfan] Re: Any algorithm for sign of sums of square roots?

Max Alekseyev maxale at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 16:21:33 CET 2012

oh, and a final step:
3) compute the given of square roots with enough precision to match
one of the intervals. E.g., if the root intervals around 0 are
[-0.002,-0.001] and [0.001,0.002], precision of 0.001 would be enough
to match one of them.
Basically, Sturm theorem tells us the sufficient precision to which we
should evaluate the given sum.

P.S. Sturm theorem is implemented in PARI/GP as polsturm() and example
of its use for accurate roots isolation is present in
http://oeis.org/A077155

Regards,
Max