[seqfan] Re: Definition of primitive root (was Re: changes to A205989)

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Sun Feb 19 03:48:39 CET 2012

On 2/18/2012 8:45 PM, franktaw at netscape.net wrote:
> If you take that definition literally, *every* residue of any integer
> that is not a unit modulo that integer is a primitive root. This is
> obviously nonsense.
>
> You need to add that 10^(p-1) == 1 (mod p). At which point 10 is not a
> primitive root of 2.

Alois: I apologize. My description of how to determine if 10 is a
primitive root of prime p was incomplete. I neglected to mention that
10^(p-1) == 1 (mod p) is a necessary condition because I thought it was
understood. I see you have updated your program to test this condition.

I can now see that it was my own inadequate instructions that led to
this confusion. So again, please accept my apologies and thanks for your
help with this sequence.

And thanks, Franklin, for rooting out the problem.

- Dave Wilson