[seqfan] Re: Richard Guy's request for several new sequences

Alex M timeroot.alex at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 21:52:03 CET 2012

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these sequences would function fairly
differently in square bases, e.g. 4:
If the original number is m^2, the truncated number is n^2, and the removed
digit is k, then we have m^2 = 4*n^2 + k.
We can rewrite this, though, as (m-2n)*(m+2n) = k. Since m and n are bother
integers, either there's the obvious case k=0 and m=2n, which works for any
even square base 4, or if k=1, 2, or 3, then m-2n has to equal 1, and m+2n
is 1, 2, or 3, of which only m+2n=1 yields an integer solution - meaning
that besides the solution 1=1^2 -> 0=0^2, all such numbers are simply
dropping a zero off the end.

In higher bases, like 9 or 16, k has more possible values of course, so
there are more singular cases - but for each base these are only finite,
and then all other cases are yielded by dropping zeroes.

~6 out of 5 statisticians say that the
number of statistics that either make
no sense or use ridiculous timescales
at all has dropped over 164% in the