[seqfan] n^n = 1 for integer n=0

T. D. Noe noe at sspectra.com
Wed Jan 18 22:34:37 CET 2012

This could start a lot of e-mail.  So, if you need to send e-mail, please
send it to me (noe at sspectra.com) and I will post a summary of the results,

Today, I had someone say that 0^0 is undefined.  Somewhat surprised, I
would like to know how common this view is among sequence fans.  Note that
in OEIS, we have f(0) = 1 for the function f(n) = n^n, see
http://oeis.org/A000312.

This note only covers integers; for real numbers, the argument is tougher.

If you believe that 0^0 is some other number or undefined, please read the
nice piece on Math Forum:
http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.0.to.0.power.html

If you still think 0^0 is not 1, please send e-mail to me so that I can
understand the problem.

Best regards,

Tony