[seqfan] Re: Are these really the same?

israel at math.ubc.ca israel at math.ubc.ca
Sun Jan 8 19:46:05 CET 2012

The actual definition of "normal" applies to real numbers, not to integers.
It is believed that sqrt(2), for example, is normal. This would mean for
example that floor(10^n*sqrt(2)) would be "normal" in your sense for large
n. But its square, which would be very close to 2*10^(2*n), would not be
"normal". So x^2 does not preserve normality.

Robert Israel
University of British Columbia