[seqfan] Re: sqrt digits last few values

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Mon Jan 9 00:10:29 CET 2012

Thanks for catching my errors! Please correct them!

If anyone wants to add computer code that produces
correct versions to some specified precision,
please do that too

In the classical era of numerical tables, (that is in
the first 60 years of the last century) we
were always aware of the necessity of specifying
which convention we were using: 1) round
the last digit, or 2) truncate the expansion
at the last digit without rounding.

The best way out of this dilemma is always to cut
off the expansion at a place where both 1) and 2)
give the same answer. That is, cut off the expansion
at a place where the next digit is 0,1,2,3 or 4.

Neil