[seqfan] Re: A066411

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sun Jan 29 04:23:50 CET 2012

I was going to suggest that. There's still a combinatorial explosion,
so I'm guessing we'll only get a few more terms, but it's worth having
that.

Another (minor) improvement: you could use binomial(n,k)-1 instead of
binomial(n,k). You get slightly smaller sums, but more importantly the
first stage becomes trivial. Of course, for n = 2^m-1, you want to use
(binomial(n,k)-1)/2 instead.

Another, perhaps incompatible idea: let p be the greatest prime divisor
of n. Process first the binomial coefficients that are not divisible by
p: i.e., binomial(n,k*p). Then you can look at the range of values
already seen only modulo p. Or similarly for p the largest prime less
than or equal to n; after the first n-p+1 steps, the remaining
coefficients are all divisible by p.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters