[seqfan] Paper of Berlekamp and Graham

David Newman davidsnewman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 05:38:44 CEST 2012

Has any among you read a paper called "Irregularities in the Distributions
of Finite Sequences" by Berlekamp and Graham, Journal of Number Theory 2,
152-161 (1970) ?

They define a number s(d) for non-negative integers.  I'm having trouble
understanding this definition.  It is proved that s(0) =17, (this is the
answer to a famous problem by Hugo Steinhaus) but no other values of s(d)
are thought to be known.  The way I understand the definition it seems that
s(d) should be d+17, but this can't be right, it is too simple.

Is there anyone out there who can help me out?