[seqfan] Re: Prime signature of 1, and second signature

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Sun Jun 10 20:05:24 CEST 2012

Having authored A025487, I would beg to differ.

The prime signature of n is the multiset of positive exponents occurring
in the prime factorization of n.

The prime signature of 1 is the empty multiset, since 1 has no prime
divisors.

Given the representation of multisets in A118914, it is correct that
there are no terms associated with 1.

IMHO, 0 is not an acceptable substitute for the prime signature of 1. By
the definition above, a prime signature is a multiset of positive
integers, hence 0 cannot be an element of a prime signature.

Of course, when you submit a sequence, you can include whatever kludge
you wish to represent 1, it is my observation that it is better to omit
elements entirely than kludge them. Better to start at index 2 than to
treat 1 inconsistently.