[seqfan] Re: Prime signature of 1, and second signature

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Tue Jun 12 03:31:04 CEST 2012

Ok...

Clearly the prime signature of n is a collection of the exponents in the
prime factorization of n.

Wikipedia says that is the "multiset" of exponents in the prime
factorization of n, MathWorld that it is the "sorted list" of exponents
in the prime factorization of n. It must be clear that in either case,
we are talking about a finite collection of positive integers. The
former definition is precise, since a multiset is a precisely defined
mathematical object. The latter definition is vague, since "list" does
not have a context-independent mathematical definition, however, if we
agree that "sorted list" actually means "nondecreasing sequence," the
definition becomes precise.

It turns out that there is a natural bijection between finite multisets
and finite nondecreasing sequence over the same (ordered) domain (in
this case the positive integers). You just write the multiset in
canonical form with nondecreasing elements, and map it to the
nondecreasing sequence of identical elements:

     {} <=> ()
     {3,7,7} <=> (3,7,7)
     {1,1,2,2,3} <=> (1,1,2,2,3)

So while it is indeed true that a sorted list (nondecreasing sequence)
and a multiset are not the same thing, there is a one-to-one
correspondence between them, so you can treat them as the same thing.
They both model the same type of collection, an unordered collection
with repeated elements.

The prime signature of 1 cannot be {1} because that would imply 1 = p^1
for some prime, which is not true.

Also, the prime signature of 1 cannot be {0} because a prime signature
is a collection of positive integers, and 0 is not a positive integer.
But suppose you ignore that constraint and allow the prime signature of
1 to be {0} because 1 = p^0. Then I would counter that the prime
signature of 1 is {0,0} because 1 = p^0*q^0, and also {0,0,0} and indeed
any {0^n}. Likewise the prime signature of 48 could be {0^n,1,4} for any
n. This destroys the uniqueness, and hence the value, of the prime
signature.

Since 1 does have a prime factorization, the empty prime factorization,
this would imply that it should have a prime signature, which would the
empty prime signature, to wit, the empty multiset {} or the empty sorted
list () of positive integers.

It really doesn't matter whether you model a prime signature as a
multiset or (equivalently) as a nondecreasing sequence, or in what order
you write the exponents, or whether you enclose it in braces or parens,
as long as you understand that it is an unordered list of positive
integers with repeated elements.

As long as you understand why

     (1,2,3,2,1) = {1,1,2,2,3}

you'll be OK.