[seqfan] Re: Any other thoughts, opinions on (in)finiteness of A020995?

israel at math.ubc.ca israel at math.ubc.ca
Tue Mar 20 23:14:52 CET 2012

The normal distribution (Central Limit Theorem) is not quite the right
limit to consider. Instead, one can use the theory of Large Deviations (see
e.g. Frank den Hollander, "Large Deviations", Fields Institute Monographs,
American Mathematical Society 2000).

Suppose S_m is the sum of n independent uniformly-distributed random base-b
digits. The moment generating function of a random base-b digit is phi(t) =
(1 + e^t + ... + e^((b-1)t)/b. According to Cramér's theorem, for any fixed
a > (b-1)/2,

lim_{m -> infty} 1/m P(S_m >= a m) = -I(a)

where I(z) = sup_t (z t - log phi(t)).  In particular, I(a) > 0.
In the case for b=10 and a=1/log[10]((1+sqrt(5))/2)
(notice that here m corresponds to the number of digits, which would be
approximately n/a if we use S_m to model the digit sum of F_n),
and I get I(a) = .004926712 approximately.

Anyway, the conclusion is still true: in this random model P(S_m >= am)
decays exponentially with m, so if we take independent S_m for a linearly
sequence of m's, with probability 1 only finitely many S_m >= am.

Robert Israel
University of British Columbia