[seqfan] Re: nth divisor of a number

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Sat Mar 31 01:33:18 CEST 2012

So presumably there is an algorithm to compute p(n, d), the probability
that the nth divisor of an integer is d.

Given that almost all integers have n divisors, it would follow that
SUM(d = 1..inf, p(n, d)) = 1.

Since d divides 1/d integers, I would suppose that SUM(n = 1..inf, p(n,
d)) = 1/d.

Clearly p(n, d) = 0 for n > d.

We would be interested in the d which maximizes p(n, d) (the d which
occurs most often as an nth divisor). Perhaps we could find an upper
bound f(d) of p(n, d) which would make this computation tractable.