[seqfan] A016037 alphabetical length steps samples

Kevin Ryde user42 at zip.com.au
Thu May 31 00:54:00 CEST 2012

In A016037 iterations of taking the length of a number in letters, the
samples show a(72)=4 and a(76)=3, if I count along correctly.

Is that right?  I thought since "seventy two" and "seventy six" have the
same number of starting letters they would both be 4 iterations

    72 -> 10 -> 3 -> 5 -> 4

Some other length=10 samples are 3 too, such as "forty three" a(43)=3.
Is there something subtle I'm missing?  I take it A005589 is the map
iterated, as it refers to A016037 (though there's no reference back).