[seqfan] Re: partitions of a circle

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Fri May 11 03:45:18 CEST 2012

Yes, I did not mean to imply that what I wrote
down was a complete definition of the problem,
far from it. But it does supply a framework for attacking the problem.
We have a graph with 2 kinds of nodes (boundary nodes P_1, ..., P_b and
internal nodes Q_1, ..., Q_i),
and two kinds of edges (boundary edges E_1, ..., E_b, which form a
cycle together with the boundary nodes, and internal edges F_1, ..., F_e).
Then we have a number of conditions to satisfy:
|edges|-|nodes|+1 =b+e-b-i+1=e-i+1= n
every node has degree >= 3
there is at most one internal edge between any two nodes
the graph must be planar and connected
there are no self-loops
and probably other conditions

Neil