[seqfan] Re: partition of a circle

Ed Jeffery lejeffery7 at gmail.com
Sat May 12 05:05:09 CEST 2012

Neil,

Sorry to butt in again, but I think Valette-Z. mean that the pieces have
null intersection except at their boundaries, with their disjoint union
being the entire disk (circle); i.e., as with tiles, the pieces must fit
together without gaps or overlaps.

As for convexity, surely the pieces must be convex, since otherwise the
example (for n = 3) I sent to you would be a valid candidate. To describe
that example again: draw a smaller circle inside the larger circle to be
divided, then draw two lines, each extending from the smaller circle to the
larger one, and which divide the annulus into two pieces without either
line intersecting the interior of the smaller circle or disk. The two
pieces forming the annulus can't be convex.

Ed