[seqfan] Re: Displaying an o.g.f for binomial(mn,n)

Thomas Copeland tccopeland at gmail.com
Sat May 26 00:05:11 CEST 2012

Hi Max,

Thanks for your observations, but let me make three points in return:

First, Newton's binomial expansion (and factorial series) is nothing
new.  Aren't we looking for new ways to view the sequences analytically,
geometrically, combinatorally, etc.? (Actually, o.g.f. formulations date
back to the 1730's and de Moivre, so they're not that new.)

Second, the analytic derivation would make the expression obvious and
connect it to an autonomous differential equation, iterated derivatives,
trees, and other things, if correct. I'll write it up soon, since the
expression is certainly true for m=1,2, and 3, (but thoroughly explaining
the expression wasn't my intent in asking for *formatting help*).

Third, the square of the discriminant is explicitly in the equation already
in the denominator out front in the usual notation as delta. The numerator
in the sum is definitely not the discriminant, but is related.

Tom