[seqfan] Re: More terms are required for A218976

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Wed Nov 21 16:57:15 CET 2012

> Making it by successive divisions (as ordinarily one might get it)
consumes too much time.

This really isn't the bottleneck. It takes 1.25 divisions, on average,
which is pretty cheap.

The problem is that it has to (in most cases) check every number between
a(n-1) and a(n) to find a(n), and to check each possible k to a large
bound. Reducing this bound would be very helpful.

A significant constant factor could be saved if this 'obvious' conjecture
were proved:
Either a(n) = a(n-1) + 1 or a(n) = 1 mod 5.

Charles Greathouse
Analyst/Programmer
Case Western Reserve University