[seqfan] Re: "half-Stirling numbers of the first kind"

Vladimir Shevelev shevelev at bgu.ac.il
Tue Oct 2 10:38:34 CEST 2012

Dear SeqFans,

>From my previous message one can conclude that simply a permutation (k_1,...,k_n)  is suitable if and only if k_{n-1}<k_n, and it is easily proved   by induction.
   Now the half-permanent  is a tool to enumerate the permutations with a constraint on the relative position of two last symbols (with the pattern ... n-1 ... n ....) and with an arbitrary set B of inhibited positions. Indeed, consider (0,1)-matrix A with zeros on the set B. Then hperm(A) equals the number of the considered permutations, and the definition of hperm(A) is an algorithm
of their enumeration. If we need  to enumerate the permutations with a constraint on the relative position of THREE last symbols (with the pattern ...n-2... n-1 ... n ....) and with an arbitrary set B of inhibited positions,
then, in a similar way, we can introduce for n>=3 "(1/6)-permanent" with the initial value for 3x3 square matrix a=(a_{11},a{12},...,a_{33}) :
(1/6)-perm(a)=a_{11}*a{22}*a_{33}, etc. Thus, for a given constraint, we can introduce the corresponding "fractional permanent". As for the permanent, it is interesting to research the questions connected with the upper and lower estimates of it (not necessarily for (0,1)-matrices).
In the conclusion,  an interesting question arises. As very well known, the determinant possesses much more simple calculating properties than the permanent. What can we say about a pair "fractional permanent-fractional determinant" ( for example, the "row-definition" of half-determinant includes the alternation of signs)? I am not an optimist in that, but this question is rather natural.

Regards,
Vladimir