[seqfan] Re: cutting cakes pizzas and bagels

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Sat Oct 13 02:19:07 CEST 2012

On 10/3/2012 3:41 PM, Tanya Khovanova wrote:
> I apologize for a misprint. He claims that he can cut the surface of a donut into 14 pieces. This is counterintuitive, because for convex bodies the number of surface pieces shouldn't exceed the number of non-hollow pieces.
>
> I can't find the sequence in the OEIS.
Consider a infinite triangular cylinder piercing a sphere. The three
face planes of the cylinder cut the solid sphere into 7 pieces and its
surface into 8 pieces. The part of the sphere within the cylinder has
one interior solid piece and two end surface pieces.

You can finagle the 14 torus surface pieces by similarly running a
triangular cylinder through both arms of a torus.