[seqfan] Re: Please name this function.

Ed Jeffery lejeffery7 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 12:56:12 CEST 2012

Franklin,

Thank you for your reply, and thanks to everyone else who replied. I cannot
say that the functions are continuous, since x and y are supposed to be
elements of a polynomial ring over the integers. In fact, they could
similarly be defined as elements of a commutative matrix polynomial ring,
in which case any notion of continuity is obviously meaningless. I did not
see the significance of mentioning that, because I assumed the answer would
be a simple one, and I did not want to give away the underlying theory.

Thanks again,

LEJ