[seqfan] Re: A100083

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Thu Aug 15 04:57:20 CEST 2013

I just discovered that my Outlook mail reader has been selectively
spaminating seqfan emails.
No wonder the threads have seemed disjointed.
Among the victims were several mails on this subject, so I didn't see the
attached message until I perused my spam folder.

At any rate, good proof Franklin.

I had realized that [1] was wrong, but no so entirely wrong that you have
shown it to be.
My proof was as follows:

There is clearly an integer sequence that converges to p-adic 0 for every p,
namely the constant 0 sequence.

Now consider the sum of sequence S = A006939, the running product of the
primorials (indexed starting at 0):

1 + 2 + 12 + 360 + 75600 + ...

S converges in every p-adic so S is panadic.

Note also that 2^n is the largest power of 2 dividing S(n).

Now define a new integer sequence T as follows:

	T(0) = 1.
	T(n+1) = T(n) + S(k) where 2^k is the largest power of 2 dividing n.

So T gives the partial sums of a subsequence of S

	1 + S(0) + S(1) + S(2) + S(4) + ... = 1 + 1 + 2 + 12 + 75600 + ...

where each term is chosen to increase the power of 2 dividing the partial
sum.
Since S is panadic, every subsequence is panadic, and T converges in every
p-adic.
Since the powers of 2 in the partial sums of T increase without bound, T
converges on 2-adic 0.
But starting at the 12 term, every subsequent term is divisible by 3, so T
converges to a 3-adic number ending in 1, that is, not 0.

We have two sequences (the constant zero sequence and T) which converge to
2-adic 0, but to different 3-adic numbers.

That was enough to thwart [1], but you completely blew it to shreds.

P has